CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 75% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
US English

December RBA preview: no move expected at the final meeting of 2023

By Kyle Rodda

14:47, 4 December 2023

What is the market pricing for this RBA meeting?

Interest rate markets are implying a negligible chance of a rate hike at the final RBA meeting for 2023. According to the ASX’s RBA Rate Indicator, there is a 2% chance of a lift in the cash rate, with a 98% implied probability the cash rate remains at 4.35%.

Source: ASX
Past Performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.

The odds of a rate hike fell following last week’s monthly CPI indicator. It revealed headline price growth moderated to 4.9% in October, falling to its lowest level since the beginning of 2022. The more critical trimmed mean figure, which strips out more volatile items, is falling more slowly; the latest data suggests it rose by 5.3% last month, dipping from 5.4% in September.

Source: Trading Economics

Economic data paints a mixed picture for the broader Australian economy. The labour market is weakening slightly; however, the unemployment rate remains near 50-year lows at 3.7%, with October’s labour force data revealing a much larger than expected 55,000 jobs added to the economy. Meanwhile, Retail Sales surprisingly contracted by 0.2% for the month, possibly signalling weaker household consumption – although it could be due to deferred spending ahead of the November discounting season.

ETH/USD

3,485.95 Price
-0.450% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0616%
Short position overnight fee 0.0137%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 6.00

US100

19,775.20 Price
+1.290% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0263%
Short position overnight fee 0.0041%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 1.8

BTC/USD

67,656.30 Price
-0.200% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0616%
Short position overnight fee 0.0137%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 106.00

XRP/USD

0.62 Price
+2.350% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0753%
Short position overnight fee 0.0069%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.01168

The RBA’s meeting arrives one day before the September National Accounts, which is forecast to reveal a fall in the GDP growth rate for the quarter to 1.7% y/y, according to a survey of economists conducted by Reuters.

Technical analysis: AUD/USD

Expectations for rate cuts from the US Federal Reserve have weakened the US Dollar and pushed the AUD/USD to four-month highs. The pair is approaching a critical technical level at long-term downward sloping trend-line resistance.

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.

Related topics

Rate this article

Capital Com is an execution-only service provider. The material provided in this article is for information purposes only and should not be understood as investment advice. Any opinion that may be provided on this page does not constitute a recommendation by Capital Com or its agents and has not been prepared in accordance with the legal requirements designed to promote investment research independence. While the information in this communication, or on which this communication is based, has been obtained from sources that Capital.com believes to be reliable and accurate, it has not undergone independent verification. No representation or warranty, whether expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy or completeness of any information obtained from third parties. If you rely on the information on this page, then you do so entirely at your own risk.

Still looking for a broker you can trust?

Join the 630,000+ traders worldwide that chose to trade with Capital.com

1. Create & verify your account 2. Make your first deposit 3. You’re all set. Start trading