CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 78.1% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
US English

What is time-weighted average price?

Time-weighted average price

Time-weighted average price, or TWAP for short, is simply the average price of a stock over a specified period of time. It doesn’t take into consideration the number of shares traded at each price point measured.

Where have you heard about time-weighted average price?

High-volume traders will often attempt to buy or sell a stock when it reaches the time-weighted average price. TWAP orders are a way of executing trades evenly over a given timeframe.

What you need to know about time-weighted average price.

TWAP is a simple trading strategy that allows traders to compare stock price points over time. It's closely related to VWAP, or volume-weighted average price, which shows the average price at which a stock has traded over time, weighted against its trading volume.

A VWAP trade will typically be weighted to a 40% volume of buy and sell orders in the first half of the day and the other 60% in the second half. A TWAP trade is more likely to execute an even 50/50 volume across both halves of the day.

Find out more about time-weighted average price.

Read our definitions of weighted average and volume-weighted average price.

Related Terms

Latest video

Latest Articles

View all articles

Still looking for a broker you can trust?

Join the 580.000+ traders worldwide that chose to trade with Capital.com

1. Create & verify your account 2. Make your first deposit 3. You’re all set. Start trading