Yum China (YUMC)
What is Yum China?
Yum China (YUMC) is the largest fast-food restaurant company incorporated in the United States. It has joint headquarters in Shanghai and Plano, Texas. Yum China represents the third largest employment force in the world. The company's divisions include KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Little Sheep and East Dawning. Over the past three decades Yum became the leading restaurant business in China. The company is famous for its strong customer loyalty programmes and menus, offering Chinese local tastes in addition to global favourites, such as KFC’s original chicken recipe.
What does the company do?
In 2016, Yum China was spun off from Yum! Brands and became an independent, publicly-traded company. It successfully operates and manages the world’s most popular restaurant brands, that have been integrated into the customers’ daily life and culture. Yum China’s brand portfolio includes:
- KFC is a popular Chinese quick-service restaurant (QSR), operating more than 5,200 restaurants in 1,100+ Chinese cities and abroad
- Pizza Hut and Pizza Hut Delivery are casual dining facilities, managing over 1,700 restaurants across the country and more than 360 home service units
- East Downing is also a quick-service restaurant, mainly located in large coastal areas. The company manages 13 same-name restaurants.
- Taco Bell is an international QSR brand that specialises mostly on Mexican food, including burritos, tacos nachos, etc.
- Little Sheep restaurant specialises in hot pot cooking, running over 240 units both in China and within its international markets.
Who founded Yum China?
The company was founded by Andrall Edwin Pearson, a legendary businessman, working for PepsiCo. After 15 years at Pepsi, Andy Pearson turned the company’s fast-food business into a separate company Tricon Clobal Restaurants that we now know as Yum! Brands. In 1997 he became the Yum Chief Executive and Chairman and served in that capacity until 2000.
Current size, team and locations
With a team of 450,000 employees, the company operates in more than 8,100 restaurants in over 1,200 cities. Even though Yum China is headquartered and located in China, one of its subsidiaries operates locations in Canada, Japan, Indonesia and the USA. In general, the company has 29 locations in 9 American states, 17 locations in Japan and 9 in Canada. Yum China is also present in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Quick facts about Yum China
- In 1987, KFC opened its first Chinese location in Beijing
- In 1990, Pizza Hut opens its first restaurant in Beijing
- In 2015, KFC opened its 5,000th restaurant in China
- In 2016, Yum China became independent from Yum! Brands
- In 2016, Yum China gained $6.8 billion USD in revenue
How to learn the Yum China share price?
Yum China is listed and traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol YUMC. It is included to the Fortune 500 list of the largest US corporations. Join Capital.com to trade CFDs on the Yum China share price fluctuations and follow the YUMC chart in real-time.