CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 79% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
US English

Shell (RDSA), CoensHexicon JV gets EBL for floating offshore wind

By Fitri Wulandari

01:30, 30 November 2021

Offshore wind power on Jeju Island, South Korea
Offshore wind power on Jeju Island, South Korea - Photo: Shutterstock

MunmuBaram, a joint venture between Shell and CoensHexicon has secured an electricity business licence (EBL) for its floating offshore wind project off the coast of Ulsan, South Korea.

The licence granted by the country’s Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy grants MunmuBaram exclusive development rights to progress 420 megawatts of wind energy, a third of the total planned output of 1.3 gigawatts of the project, the company said in a statement on Monday.

This is the first time Shell and CoensHexicon have received exclusive development rights for an offshore wind project in Asia.

One million households

“Acquiring the Electricity Business License is a key enabler for the MunmuBaram floating offshore wind project which could, if realized, provide renewable power to over one million Korean households," said YoungKyu Ju, the project director of MunmuBaram.


0.61 Price
-0.110% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0753%
Short position overnight fee 0.0069%
Overnight fee time 22:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.01168


2,036.31 Price
-0.400% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0196%
Short position overnight fee 0.0114%
Overnight fee time 22:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.30

Oil - Crude

75.68 Price
-2.630% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0165%
Short position overnight fee -0.0054%
Overnight fee time 22:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.030


15,926.40 Price
-0.470% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0262%
Short position overnight fee 0.0040%
Overnight fee time 22:00 (UTC)
Spread 1.8

Following the award of the EBL, MunmuBaram will continue to progress the floating offshore wind project development through Environmental Impact Assessment, marine traffic survey, cultural heritage inspection survey and other activities, the company said.

Shell holds an 80% stake in MunmuBaram, while CoensHexicon holds the remaining 20%. CoensHexicon is a joint venture between COENS Co, a South Korea-based general service of oil and gas industry, and Hexicon AB, a floating offshore wind farms developer.

Read more: Shell (RDSA) signs deal to buy power from Dogger Bank Wind Farm

Rate this article

The difference between trading assets and CFDs
The main difference between CFD trading and trading assets, such as commodities and stocks, is that you don’t own the underlying asset when you trade on a CFD.
You can still benefit if the market moves in your favour, or make a loss if it moves against you. However, with traditional trading you enter a contract to exchange the legal ownership of the individual shares or the commodities for money, and you own this until you sell it again.
CFDs are leveraged products, which means that you only need to deposit a percentage of the full value of the CFD trade in order to open a position. But with traditional trading, you buy the assets for the full amount. In the UK, there is no stamp duty on CFD trading, but there is when you buy stocks, for example.
CFDs attract overnight costs to hold the trades (unless you use 1-1 leverage), which makes them more suited to short-term trading opportunities. Stocks and commodities are more normally bought and held for longer. You might also pay a broker commission or fees when buying and selling assets direct and you’d need somewhere to store them safely.
Capital Com is an execution-only service provider. The material provided on this website is for information purposes only and should not be understood as an investment advice. Any opinion that may be provided on this page does not constitute a recommendation by Capital Com or its agents. We do not make any representations or warranty on the accuracy or completeness of the information that is provided on this page. If you rely on the information on this page then you do so entirely on your own risk.

Still looking for a broker you can trust?

Join the 570.000+ traders worldwide that chose to trade with

1. Create & verify your account 2. Make your first deposit 3. You’re all set. Start trading