CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 79% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
US English

Safe-haven currencies advance, EUR slips and Turkish lira crumbles

By Piero Cingari

10:11, 19 November 2021

Yen, dollar and euro banknotes in a collage image
Safe-havens currencies (JPY & USD) advance, EUR slips – Photo: Shutterstock

A risk-off mood prevailed on forex markets in today’s European trading session, with safe-haven currencies such as the US dollar and Japanese yen gaining ground against other major fiat urrencies.

The euro is among the worst performer this morning on growing worries of a new lockdown in Europe to curb the fourth Covid-19 wave. Germany’s health minister, Jens Spahn, said the country is facing a “national emergency”. EUR/USD was down 0.6% to 1.1304 at 09:49 GMT.

The British pound also weakened against the dollar by -0.5% to 1.3431, despite the fact UK retail sales rose more than expected in October.

The Japanese yen (JPY) benefitted from the risk-off sentiment, drifting higher 0.2% against the dollar and 0.9% versus the euro.

Oil-linked currencies continue to trade weakly. The Canadian dollar (CAD) erased all its October gains, while Norwegian krone (NOK) was down 0.9% following eight straight sessions of losses versus the dollar.

The Australian (AUD) and New Zealand dollars (NZD) were both lower 0.4% against the US dollar.

Yesterday, the Turkish lira crumbled 4.5%, hitting new all-time lows following a 100 basis point (BPS) rate cut to 15% by the Central Bank of Turkey (CBT), a day after President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s comments on the need to lower interest rates to ease the burden on the population.

What is your sentiment on USD/JPY?

Vote to see Traders sentiment!

Forex daily matrix – 19 November 2021

A forex table that compares nine major currencies against each other, including USD, EUR, GBY, JPY, CHF, AUD, NZD, CAD and NOKForex daily matrix as of 19 November 2021, 10:00 GMT – Credit:

US dollar

As of writing, the US Dollar index (DXY) was last at 95.89 level, up 0.4% from its previous close. Increased US inflation and prospects for monetary policy normalisation continue to be the primary drivers of the dollar’s recent rise.

Money markets are currently assigning a 64.5% probability that the US Federal Reserve (the Fed) will start hiking interest rates in June next year.

Several Fed members spoke yesterday on prospects for inflation and interest rates. Charles Evans, head of the Chicago Fed, believes interest rate increases should begin next year or in 2023, while Raphael Bostic, president and CEO of the Atlanta Fed, expresses the need normalise interest policy as labour market “will be pretty much at pre-pandemic” by next summer.


29.04 Price
+0.270% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0535%
Short position overnight fee 0.0453%
Overnight fee time 22:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.25000


7.77 Price
+0.150% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee 0.0054%
Short position overnight fee -0.0137%
Overnight fee time 22:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.01227


1.10 Price
+0.140% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee 0.0000%
Short position overnight fee 0.0000%
Overnight fee time 22:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.00900


20.55 Price
-0.390% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0020%
Short position overnight fee -0.0062%
Overnight fee time 22:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.034

According to New York Fed president and CEO John Williams, pricing pressures are becoming broad-based, with very strong demand in the US.

Meanwhile, the market’s focus moves next week to the appointment of the new Fed chairman, which may be revealed before Thanksgiving.

According to, Jerome Powell’s reappointment is the most probable result (66%), while a chance of Leal Brainard's appointment – typically seen as a more dovish chairman by the market – is currently at 34%.

DXY technical levels:

  • 52-week high: 96.20
  • 52-week low: 89.212
  • 50-day moving average: 93.98
  • 200-day moving average: 92.23
  • 14-day relative strength index (RSI): 68.91

Chart of the day: Dollar is again ‘King’ in November

US dollar performance in November against other major currenciesUSD month-to-date performance versus other majors as of 19 November 2021, 11:00 GMT – Credit: Koyfin


The euro extended its losses to 1.1304 against the US dollar, down 0.6% from its previous close.

This morning, European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde once again provided a dovish message, stating that the eurozone must consistently reach its 2% price target before tightening its monetary policy.

Meanwhile, Covid-19 is again topping the headlines. Germany’s federal minister of health, Jens Spah, said this morning that “vaccinations alone are not enough to limit the spread of Covid-19 in Germany”. He added: “Germany is in the midst of a national emergency.”

EUR/USD technical levels:

  • 52-week high: 1.2349
  • 52-week low: 1.1262
  • 50-day moving average: 1.1594
  • 200-day moving average: 1.1906
  • 14-day relative strength index (RSI): 28.66

British pound

The GBP/USD pair last stood at 1.3428 in London midday trading, down 0.4% from its previous close.

On the data front, UK retail sales increased 0.8% on a monthly basis in October, above forecasts (0.6%) and following a 0.6% decline in September. The GfK Consumer Confidence Barometer rose three points to -14 in November 2021, up from an eight-month low of -17 in October and above market predictions of a modest decline to -18.

Money markets are now fully pricing in a 15bps rate hike by the Bank of England (BoE) at the December’s meeting, according to the latest Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) BoE Watch.

GBP/USD technical levels:

  • 52-week high: 1.4248
  • 52-week low: 1.3133
  • 50-day moving average: 1.3638
  • 200-day moving average: 1.3835
  • 14-day relative strength index (RSI): 39.75

Forex Performance Heatmap – 19 November 2021

A forex table showing the performance of US dollar and the euro against other currenciesForex performance heatmap as of 19 November 2021, 10:00 GMT – Credit:

Other currency pairs (% change from previous close):

Read more: ECB will not rush to raise rates, says President Lagarde

Markets in this article

0.66848 USD
159.417 USD
11.61965 USD
4.33956 USD
11.31749 USD

Rate this article

The difference between trading assets and CFDs
The main difference between CFD trading and trading assets, such as commodities and stocks, is that you don’t own the underlying asset when you trade on a CFD.
You can still benefit if the market moves in your favour, or make a loss if it moves against you. However, with traditional trading you enter a contract to exchange the legal ownership of the individual shares or the commodities for money, and you own this until you sell it again.
CFDs are leveraged products, which means that you only need to deposit a percentage of the full value of the CFD trade in order to open a position. But with traditional trading, you buy the assets for the full amount. In the UK, there is no stamp duty on CFD trading, but there is when you buy stocks, for example.
CFDs attract overnight costs to hold the trades (unless you use 1-1 leverage), which makes them more suited to short-term trading opportunities. Stocks and commodities are more normally bought and held for longer. You might also pay a broker commission or fees when buying and selling assets direct and you’d need somewhere to store them safely.
Capital Com is an execution-only service provider. The material provided on this website is for information purposes only and should not be understood as an investment advice. Any opinion that may be provided on this page does not constitute a recommendation by Capital Com or its agents. We do not make any representations or warranty on the accuracy or completeness of the information that is provided on this page. If you rely on the information on this page then you do so entirely on your own risk.

Still looking for a broker you can trust?

Join the 570.000+ traders worldwide that chose to trade with

1. Create & verify your account 2. Make your first deposit 3. You’re all set. Start trading