CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 84% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.

Rising energy prices pushes Santos revenue to record high

By Andreas Ismar

08:03, 21 October 2021

LNG tanker anchoring near a port in Japan
LNG tanker anchoring near a port in Japan - Photo: Shutterstock

Rising energy prices pushed revenue of Australia’s oil and gas producer Santos to a record high in the three months ended September.

Increased competition for heating fuel ahead of winter in the Northern hemisphere and low inventories have pushed prices of liquefied natural gas (LNG) to record highs. Out of 69 LNG cargoes shipped by Santos in the September quarter, 12 of them were sold on the spot market due to the high prices.  

Average selling price for Santos’ LNG in July-September period was at $10.36 per million British thermal units (MMBtu), more than double the $4.27 in the corresponding period a year earlier, the company said in an exchange filing.

Free cash flow to reach $1.3bn

Average selling price for crude oil jumped to $76.64 per barrel from $48.42 in the previous year. The higher energy prices propelled Santos’ revenue to an all-time high of $1.1bn.

Free cash flow for the period also hit a record of $359m, bringing the overall cash flow generated in the first nine months of the year to $931m.

“At current commodity prices, Santos should generate close to $1.3 billion in free cash flow for the full year,” said managing director and CEO Kevin Gallagher.

Oil - Crude

71.98 Price
+2.450% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0201%
Short position overnight fee -0.0018%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.04


14,557.80 Price
+0.640% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0255%
Short position overnight fee 0.0032%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 3.0


1,948.36 Price
-1.480% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0185%
Short position overnight fee 0.0103%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.30


0.53 Price
+0.390% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0753%
Short position overnight fee 0.0069%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.00392

Shares in Santos on the Australian bourse closed 1.1% lower at AUD7.2 apiece.

Oil Search merger on track

The upstream energy company is in the process of a merger with rival Oil Search which will create a $21bn entity and becoming one of the top 20 global oil and gas companies.

Under the agreement, Santos would own 61.5% of the combined entity, while Oil Search would hold the remainder 38.5% stake.

“The proposed merger with Oil Search is on track for completion by year-end…I’m very happy with how the merger is progressing,” said Gallagher.

Read more: Asian LNG price hits above as China scouts winter cargoes

Related topics

Rate this article

Capital Com is an execution-only service provider. The material provided on this website is for information purposes only and should not be understood as an investment advice. Any opinion that may be provided on this page does not constitute a recommendation by Capital Com or its agents. We do not make any representations or warranty on the accuracy or completeness of the information that is provided on this page. If you rely on the information on this page then you do so entirely on your own risk.

Still looking for a broker you can trust?

Join the 535.000+ traders worldwide that chose to trade with

1. Create & verify your account 2. Make your first deposit 3. You’re all set. Start trading