Honda has said it’s pushing back plans to resume operations in Wuhan. The Japanese carmaker was due to restart operations on February 21 but in a statement on Friday it said this had been changed to March 11.
The announcement comes after the Chinese authorities urged firms to stay away from the coronavirus epicentre longer.
Honda said that operations at its other Chinese plants had already started.
The carmaker has three plants producing in Wuhan with a total annual capacity of 600,000 units. The third plant opened in 2019. Honda-branded motorcycles are also built in China.
Meanwhile, Nissan said it would also be keeping its plants in Xianyang in the central province of Hubei and Zhengzhou in the neighbouring province of Henan closed but has not yet announced a firm date. Toyota is restarting production in Chengdu in the south-western province of Sichuan, resuming operations at all four of its China assembly plants from next week, but with limited output.
The World Health Organisation estimates the number of deaths nationwide to be at least 2,236, with the latest number of infections nationwide at 75,685.
Last week carmaker Jaguar warned it could run out of parts due to the halt in supply.