CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 84% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.

GBP/USD latest: US CPI, UK spring budget, banking shares rout

By Daniela Hathorn

14:07, 15 March 2023

A customer handles cash at a market in the U.K.
A customer handles cash at a market in the U.K. - source: getty images

US CPI and SVB collapse see “no hike” being priced in for March FOMC meeting

US consumer prices fell to 6% in February as markets were anticipating, the smallest annual gain since September 2021, with the monthly rise falling to 0.4% from 0.5%. But core inflation continues to be a cause of concern as prices excluding food and energy rose 0.5% after rising 0.4% in January, highlighting the shift from goods inflation to services inflation. 

US stock indices jumped higher after the data after a few turbulent days from the fallout of the Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) collapse, which has seen the most volatility in us bonds in the last two decades. The drop in CPI has fallen in line with hopes that the US economy is not overheating, something that had become a big concern after the strong economic data in January. Friday’s jobs data also relieved some of the anticipation for next week’s FOMC meeting as the unemployment rate ticked up slightly after falling to the lowest level since 1969 in January

The collapse of SVB has also served to reprice expectations regarding the FOMC meeting as the chance of a 50bps, which had become a strong probability after Powell’s hawkish comments last week, has been completely priced out, with an 80% chance of 25bps vs 20% chance of no hike at all. This is because many investors believe the Fed needed something to “break” in order to reassess their monetary policy, and the turmoil in the financial system over the past few days may be just that. In fact, many times we’ve heard Powell reiterate that the rate hikes delivered last year weren’t evident enough to have easy financial conditions, given the extremely tight labour market and stubborn inflation, but the impact than an inverted yield curve is having on smaller banks - which are having to borrow at higher rates than what they lend out in the longer-term - is a clear sign of struggle, and may just be the “breaking point” the Fed has been waiting for, hence the repricing in rate expectations and the significant drop in bond yields. 


What is your sentiment on GBP/USD?

Vote to see Traders sentiment!

GBP/USD runs out of steam

Following a three-day rally, GBP/USD is facing a technical correction after facing resistance at 1.2200 for the second day in a row on Tuesday. The pair is edging lower by 0.5% on Wednesday morning as traders digest the US consumer inflation data released on Tuesday, allowing the US dollar to regain some of its upside. 

The recent strength in the Pound, not only against the dollar but also against other currencies like the Euro and the Yen, has likely had an impact from the recent data showing a resilient UK economy. But as we know, this can be a double-edged sword in times of persistently high inflation like the present, given the Bank of England’s (BOE) reluctance to hike rates aggressively over the past few months, which has been widening the rate differential with the US. The strength of the Pound will be put to the test next week as the BOE delivers its March monetary policy update, where markets are pricing in a 54% chance of a 25bps hike vs 46% of no hike at all.


165.08 Price
+0.370% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee 0.0081%
Short position overnight fee -0.0163%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.035


0.67 Price
-0.120% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0081%
Short position overnight fee -0.0001%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.00006


1.24 Price
+0.020% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0067%
Short position overnight fee -0.0015%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.00013


133.19 Price
+0.350% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee 0.0104%
Short position overnight fee -0.0186%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.010

No doubt the SVB chaos has had a large impact on the repricing of rate expectations but it surely won’t have been as hard to come to terms with compared to the Fed, given Governor Bailey’s comments where he was “unclear” as to whether further rate hikes would be necessary, a start contrast to Jerome Powell and the ECB’s Lagarde who remain as hawkish as ever. 

So far the pullback in GBP/USD has found some support along the 100-day SMA (1.2037) which has prompted a reversal within the daily bearish trend. The RSI has tilted downwards once again after harrowingly crossing the 50 mid-line on Monday, suggesting that the bullish rally which started last week hadn’t quite run its course to the overbought level. 

One thing to point out is the breakaway from the descending wedge pattern which had kept GBP/USD within a tight range with a bearish tilt throughout most of February. The key support area (1.1912 - 1.1962) will likely continue to offer sellers some resistance, as will the 200-day SMA (1.1892).


GBPUSD daily chartGBPUSD daily chart. Photo: Source: tradingview

UK spring budget shows improving economic forecasts 

In his Spring Budget, UK chancellor Jeremy Hunt has unveiled a series of measures to draw people back into work which includes more childcare and support for people with disabilities. He has also announced an increase in defence spending and increased corporation tax from 19% to 25% as expected. The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) has forecasted that the UK economy will not enter into a technical recession this year, with inflation falling to 2.9% by the end of the year, compared to the average of 7.4% predicted in the autumn statement. Chancellor Hunt also expects the unemployment rate to rise by less than 1% from 3.7% to 4.4%.

Rate this article

The difference between trading assets and CFDs
The main difference between CFD trading and trading assets, such as commodities and stocks, is that you don’t own the underlying asset when you trade on a CFD.
You can still benefit if the market moves in your favour, or make a loss if it moves against you. However, with traditional trading you enter a contract to exchange the legal ownership of the individual shares or the commodities for money, and you own this until you sell it again.
CFDs are leveraged products, which means that you only need to deposit a percentage of the full value of the CFD trade in order to open a position. But with traditional trading, you buy the assets for the full amount. In the UK, there is no stamp duty on CFD trading, but there is when you buy stocks, for example.
CFDs attract overnight costs to hold the trades (unless you use 1-1 leverage), which makes them more suited to short-term trading opportunities. Stocks and commodities are more normally bought and held for longer. You might also pay a broker commission or fees when buying and selling assets direct and you’d need somewhere to store them safely.
Capital Com is an execution-only service provider. The material provided on this website is for information purposes only and should not be understood as an investment advice. Any opinion that may be provided on this page does not constitute a recommendation by Capital Com or its agents. We do not make any representations or warranty on the accuracy or completeness of the information that is provided on this page. If you rely on the information on this page then you do so entirely on your own risk.

Latest Forex news

Still looking for a broker you can trust?

Join the 500.000+ traders worldwide that chose to trade with

1. Create & verify your account 2. Make your first deposit 3. You’re all set. Start trading