Germany's fourth-quarter gross domestic product growth was boosted by net exports, with "mixed signals" from domestic demand, the country's official statistics office said on Friday.
Economic growth in the final three months of 2017 was confirmed at 0.6% quarter on quarter. However, third-quarter growth was revised up to 0.7%. Alongside Q1's 0.9% growth and the second quarter's 0.6% - overall annual growth in 2017 rose 2.2% on 2016.
Quarter-on-quarter contributions in the October-December period came mainly from foreign demand, Destatis - the German statistics agency, said.
"Exports increased substantially, up 2.7%, and contributed markedly to economic growth in the fourth quarter," it said. Imports were up 2% in the same period.
"Mixed signals" were received from domestic demand data, however, as household consumption rose 1.2%, while government expenditure rose 0.5%. Overall, domestic uses were up 1.7% on a year earlier.
The balance of exports and imports had a positive effect of 0.8 percentage points on GDP growth in fourth quarter, compared with the same quarter in 2106.
Claus Vistesen at Pantheon Macroeconomics summed up the results, saying: "Poor domestic demand data, but net exports are flying."
He added: "The big story in these data is that domestic demand appears to have slowed significantly in the second half of last year, and that the economy was almost exclusively supported by net exports.
"We are confident that consumers’ spending and construction, however, will lift growth in the first quarter of 2018."
There was little relief for the euro, which has fallen in two of the last three trading sessions. It was down 0.17% to $1.2309 against the dollar and fell 0.32% to £0.8808 versus sterling.
German stocks had a more positive response, however, with the Xetra Dax index in Frankfurt climbing 0.16% to 12,482 in mid-morning trade.