CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 75% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
US English

Central banks preview: Fed, ECB and BoE on the radar this week

By Daniela Hathorn

09:00, 12 December 2023

ECB flag
ECB flag - Source: shuttershock

It’s a busy week ahead for the central bank calendar, with 5 major central banks set to report on their monetary policy. The two-day showdown will be kicked off by the Federal Reserve (Fed) on Wednesday, followed by the European Central Bank (ECB), Bank of England (BoE), Swiss National Bank (SNB) and Norges Bank (Norway) on Thursday. The consensus is that all of them will keep their rates unchanged at current levels.

Federal Reserve – Current rate: 5.25% - 5.5%

Before the Fed meeting on Wednesday, we will see the US CPI data for November. According to Reuters data, markets anticipate a drop in year-over-year headline inflation to 3.1% from 3.2%, with core inflation remaining unchanged at 4%. Given the unexpected drop in unemployment in the US in November, a stronger CPI reading could skew market expectations about the future path of rates from the Fed – more specifically, when the first rate cut takes place – which will likely have an impact on markets heading into the meeting on Wednesday.

As per Reuters’ data, current market pricing shows a 99% probability of no change for the Fed meeting on Wednesday. This means the meeting could be a non-event, but the messaging from Powell is likely going to be the main driver of any market volatility post-event. It is also important to note that this meeting comes with updated economic forecasts and dot plot, which will give markets a clearer picture of where the FOMC expects rates to end up over the coming years.

Fed probability distribution - Source: refinitiv

The latest commentary we got from Powell before the blackout period remained hawkish in tone, as he continued to suggest possible further rate hikes if the data deemed so necessary. It is highly unlikely we will see further rate hikes, and the markets know that given the reaction after the commentary. But the data since then has shown an unexpected tightening in the labour market, and so, depending on how the CPI evolves in November, Powell may ramp up the hawkish tone on Wednesday just to make sure he doesn’t allow monetary conditions to loosen further before he intends them to as yields drop. If so, this could give the USD enough reason to keep up the recent recovery from 3-month lows.

US Dollar Index daily chart

source: tradingview

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.

 

Bank of England – Current rate: 5.25%

Similar to the Fed, markets are assigning a 99% chance of no change to the Bank of England meeting on Thursday as per data from Reuters. Inflation has also dropped significantly in the UK in the past few months, but it is still significantly higher than in the US, which has led markets to believe the BoE will have to hold out longer before it can start cutting rates.

BoE probability distribution - Source: refinitiv

Headline inflation grew 4.6% in the year to October, a significant drop from 6.7% in the previous month. The data for November will not be released until next week (20 December) but it is unlikely that the drop  – if any – will be so big once again. The Bank of England is well aware that the disinflation process is not linear, and consumer prices have been much stickier in the UK than they have been in the US and Europe. The labour market remains tight, and wages continue to put upward pressure on domestic inflation, so there is good reason to expect the BoE to hold out on cutting rates until Q3 or Q4 next year. This may give GBP a slight edge in the coming months as rate differentials play out.

GBP/USD

1.29 Price
+0.070% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0046%
Short position overnight fee -0.0036%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.00013

USD/JPY

157.16 Price
-0.220% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee 0.0108%
Short position overnight fee -0.0190%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.010

EUR/USD

1.09 Price
0.000% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0087%
Short position overnight fee 0.0005%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.00006

AUD/USD_zero

0.67 Price
-0.290% 1D Chg, %
Long position overnight fee -0.0066%
Short position overnight fee -0.0016%
Overnight fee time 21:00 (UTC)
Spread 0.00006

This meeting is likely to also be a non-event, as there will be no monetary policy report at this meeting. There may be some remaining volatility from the Fed meeting the day prior, which could give GBP/USD some further momentum. A stronger USD on the back of a more hawkish Fed will likely weigh on GBP/USD even if the BoE keeps rates on hold. Alternatively, a weaker USD may see the pair pushing above 1.26 once again. Focus will then rapidly shift to the UK CPI release the following week as that will likely drive most of the momentum in GBP.

GBP/USD daily chart

source: tradingview

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.

 

European Central Bank – Current rate: 4%

Data from Reuters shows markets are currently pricing in a 96% chance of no change at the meeting on Thursday. But, unlike the Fed and the BoE, the remaining 4% is not assigned to the possibility of a hike, but to a 25bps rate cut. It seems highly unlikely that it would happen at this meeting, but the fact that markets are even pricing it in as a possibility suggests how much more dovish they are about the ECB.

ECB probability distribution - Source: refinitiv

The fact is that recent data from the Eurozone has suggested the economy is slowing at a faster pace than in the US. Compared to the UK, growth remains on similar terms, but inflation is much lower in the Eurozone – currently at 2.4% – which has led markets to price in a higher chance that the ECB will be the first out of the three to cut rates. Current predictions are pointing to April for the first 25bps cut as per data from Reuters.

As per the meeting on Thursday, markets are likely going to be paying close attention to President Lagarde and whether she acknowledges the faster-than-anticipated drop in inflation and how that fits into the central bank’s rate forecasts. Whilst equities could get a boost from a more dovish ECB, the mention of rate cuts could send the EUR down even further against the USD and GBP. For now, EUR/USD seems to have found some support from the recent selloff. But with the RSI having dipped below 50, the path of least resistance could turn lower if the markets continue to price in a dovish ECB.

EUR/USD daily chart

source: tradingview

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.

Rate this article

The difference between trading assets and CFDs
The main difference between CFD trading and trading assets, such as commodities and stocks, is that you don’t own the underlying asset when you trade on a CFD.
You can still benefit if the market moves in your favour, or make a loss if it moves against you. However, with traditional trading you enter a contract to exchange the legal ownership of the individual shares or the commodities for money, and you own this until you sell it again.
CFDs are leveraged products, which means that you only need to deposit a percentage of the full value of the CFD trade in order to open a position. But with traditional trading, you buy the assets for the full amount. In the UK, there is no stamp duty on CFD trading, but there is when you buy stocks, for example.
CFDs attract overnight costs to hold the trades (unless you use 1-1 leverage), which makes them more suited to short-term trading opportunities. Stocks and commodities are more normally bought and held for longer. You might also pay a broker commission or fees when buying and selling assets direct and you’d need somewhere to store them safely.
Capital Com is an execution-only service provider. The material provided in this article is for information purposes only and should not be understood as investment advice. Any opinion that may be provided on this page does not constitute a recommendation by Capital Com or its agents and has not been prepared in accordance with the legal requirements designed to promote investment research independence. While the information in this communication, or on which this communication is based, has been obtained from sources that Capital.com believes to be reliable and accurate, it has not undergone independent verification. No representation or warranty, whether expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy or completeness of any information obtained from third parties. If you rely on the information on this page, then you do so entirely at your own risk.

Still looking for a broker you can trust?

Join the 630,000+ traders worldwide that chose to trade with Capital.com

1. Create & verify your account 2. Make your first deposit 3. You’re all set. Start trading