TMX Group Limited describes itself as an integrated, multi-asset class exchange group, a company domiciled in Canada and incorporated under the Business Corporations Act (Ontario).
Its stated mission is to power capital and commodity markets, investment, and economic growth for clients in Canada, across North America and around the world. Its stated vision is to be a technology-driven solutions provider that puts clients first.
TMX Group's key subsidiaries operate cash and derivative markets and clearinghouses for multiple asset classes including equities, fixed income and energy. It also provides clearing facilities, data products and other services to the international financial community.
Range of interests
TMX Group is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver. Its business is divided into four main segments.
- Capital markets
- Derivatives and energy markets
- Market insights
- Market solutions
TMX Group owns and operates the Toronto Stock Exchange, which was founded in 1852, as well as the TSX Venture Exchange.
It also owns or holds interests in Canada’s Natural Gas Exchange, Boston Options Exchange, Shorcan, Equicom and other TMX Group companies which provide trading markets, clearing facilities, data products and other services.
• TSX Inc (TSX), which operates Toronto Stock Exchange, a national stock exchange serving the senior equities market; TSX Venture Exchange Inc. (TSX Venture Exchange), which operates TSX Venture Exchange, a national exchange serving public venture equity market.
Alpha Trading Systems Inc (Alpha), which also operates an exchange for the trading of securities;
• Montréal Exchange Inc. (MX), Canada’s national derivatives exchange, and its subsidiaries, including Canadian Derivatives Clearing Corporation (CDCC), the clearing house for options and futures contracts traded at MX and over-the counter (OTC) products and repo.
• The Canadian Depository for Securities Limited and its subsidiaries (CDS), including CDS Clearing and Depository Services Inc (CDS Clearing), which operates the automated facilities for the clearing and settlement of equities and fixed income transactions and custody.
• Natural Gas Exchange Inc, which operates NGX, an exchange for the trading and clearing of natural gas, electricity, and crude oil contracts in North America and its subsidiaries;
• Shorcan Brokers Limited (Shorcan), a fixed income inter-dealer broker and registered exempt market dealer and Shorcan Energy Brokers Inc (Shorcan Energy), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Shorcan, for brokering of crude oil contracts;
• TSX Trust Company (TSX Trust formerly TMX Equity Transfer Services Inc), a provider of corporate trust, registrar, transfer agency and foreign exchange services; and
• Finexeo S.A. (Finexeo), a provider of low latency network and infrastructure solutions for the global investment community.
In 2016, TMX claims to have been the world's leading exchange for new international listings and number one in listed mining, oil and gas, energy service and clean technology and renewable energy companies.
It adds in its investor brochure that it was the world's number two by the number of new listings.
Founded: 1852 as Toronto Stock Exchange
Headquarters address: The Exchange Tower, 130 King Street West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Telephone: (416) 947-4277 (Toronto Area investor relations); 1-888-873-8392 (North America investor relations)
Chief Executive Officer: Louis Eccleston
Chairman: Charles Winograd
Well known indices
S&P/TSX Composite Index
S&P/TSX 60 Hedged
S&P/TSX ESG Factor Weighted
S&P/TSX 60 Shariah